Implementing the Common Core Standards (ICCS)Issue 32 • December 20, 2012 is circulated throughout the Department of Education and to state educators on the ICCS list serve. Some of the highlights in this issue are
- 25 states commit to advancing recommendations to improve educator preparation
- Student Achievement Partners publishes three new Common Core PD modules
- Stanford University Understanding Language Project publishes Common Core ELA unit exemplifying effective strategies for ELLs
- Free illustrations show Common Core Mathematical Practices in action
- CBMS releases new report on preparation and professional development of Math educators in the context of the Common Core
ICCS recently hosted a webinar on the Partnership for Readiness for College and Career (PARCC) and Smarter Balanced sample assessment items in mathematics with middle school mathematics teacher Jim Mamer. Mamer received the 2012 Ohio Council of Teachers of Mathematics Elementary Mathematics Teaching Award, is an active leader in the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM), and is currently implementing the Common Core State Standards in Mathematics with his students. Mamer offered his reactions and guidance to fellow teachers on what the new assessment items illustrate about the Common Core State Standards in Mathematics and accompanying assessments that students will be experiencing soon.
Recorded webinar is on the ICCS website.
Attached in pdf format is the newsletter.