A brand-new STAR Alphabetics Booster Course is now available via the STAR Tool Kit! The purpose of this free online booster course is to provide STAR implementers with refresher training on Alphabetics instruction. The course aims to improve the understanding and practices of intermediate-level ABE educators about who needs alphabetics instruction, which alphabetic concepts to teach at the higher levels, why to teach them, the materials to use, and how to monitor progress and make instructional decisions in alphabetics lessons. STAR Tool Kit users can access this resource at any time and can take the course on their own or use it in a facilitated group setting. The course is organized in three sessions: Determining Who Needs Alphabetics Instruction and at What Level; Techniques for Higher-Level Alphabetics Instruction; and Strategies for Ongoing Success in Alphabetics Instruction. There is no requirement or time limit for completing the course; progress will be saved between sessions.
To access the course:
1. Sign in to the STAR Tool Kit using your username and password at www.startoolkit.org.
2. Click the blue tab labeled ‘Booster Training.’
3. You may see a one-time screen asking you to authenticate your tool kit account. Simply click ‘Continue.’
4. On the Booster Training screen, click the blue ‘Launch Course’ button to open the course. The course will open in a new window.
5. Be sure to visit the discussion forum via the hyperlinks in the course’s reflection activities to share your thoughts with other STAR implementers!
6. Reminder: The STAR Grouping Booster Course is also available in the same location.
If you have any questions, comments, or need assistance accessing or completing the STAR Alphabetics and Grouping Boosters, please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to your feedback!
The STAR Team